Monday, September 20, 2010

My instructor said "see ya at the bottom" so I let my air out and sank like a rock

View from our hostel: (2 bunk beds in a 7x7ft room, mattress, sheet, and a fan.)




I have decided to start blogging this way - it is a lot easier than my webpage and its FREE! I think. I think I will actually use it more this way anyways. SOOOOOO. Honduras' Independance Day was last week, so we got a lovely 5 day weekend, which I took advantage of and headed to the island of Utila (Bay Islands, beside Roatan). My friend, Daniel, Ben, Austin, and myself took off to get our diving certifications! After the first day of diving - I HATED IT, I hated everything about it, not having control, not being able to rub my eyes when they were burning. I especially hated the following: I had to take my mask off underwater and just breathe blind for a minute, the part when he cut my air off and I had to signal him I was out of air b4 he cut it back on, when I had to completely remove all my equipment, then put it back on, had to hold my breath for 30 seconds as we did an emergency swim to the top, when I hate to throw my regulator out of my mouth, then find it, and the part about popping my ears to stay equalized.

So after all that, I had decided I was going to finish this first underwater test to prove to everyone and myself I was capable of doing it, but after that I WAS OUT! I was gonna sit on the beach in a hammock and straight chill. haha. BUT after the tests, we took a swim around under the dock and I got more comfortable so I decided to just go for it the following day, which was our first actual dive on the reef, 40ft. After the first dive, I was hooked. We still had to do several tests underwater, just chillin in the sand, 30 feet underwater. But it was crazy awesome. I am in love with diving now, there is just no other feeling than being completely weightless in the water, to be chillin upside down and not falling on your head, just floating! We also saw some amazing fish - seahorse, frog fish, toad fish, lobsters, crabs, moray eels, and sting rays!

On a sadder note, ben and austin are leaving this weekend!!! Time has flown by so fast, I am not ready for them to leave! It has also been fun because we have tried to take them traveling to see the country pretty much every weekend they have been here so it has been fun. I know in their hearts they would love to stay, but the military and financially they just can't, which is unfortunate but I know they have made a huge difference at destino in the month they have been there. Well I am going to finish my caffeine, hopefully it gets in my bloodstream quickly so I can function on this slow monday morning! oh pics to come, here and fbook!

1 comment:

  1. Lacy,
    You are so brave. How exciting to be able to do what your doing and to share a month of bonding time with Ben. You & Ben will remember and cherish these memories for years to come. Your children will listen to you tell them about your Adventure of a Lifetime. You are living proof of the words "Do what you love and Love what your doing."
    Warmly,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete